Life in Kentucky: Baby Watching and Plane Crashes

This weekend, I was on “baby watch” — meaning I went up to my sister’s house and spent the weekend hanging out with her so my brother-in-law (a great guy who has been right beside Amy for the duration) could get out and go fishing and hiking and doing some solo stuff.

And, this weekend, there was a tragedy that touched far too close to home.

John (Amy’s hubby) is great. And, I know (even if they don’t) that it will be QUITE awhile before they get “solo time” again. Besides, I wanted to spend some time with her one-on-one (and a half).

We worked on a mobile for my new nephew, Ezra on Sunday. I only spent time working on the computer on Saturday. It was a great weekend. Ezra has proven to be a bit shy and although he was due the middle of last week, he’s not quite ready for his big debut. So Amy and John wait. I must say that Amy is considerably more patient and accepting of the whole “baby overdue” thing than I ever was. Both my boys were three weeks late, and Alex was three days late and I was a bear once I hit the “overdue” mark. Amy, as usual, is gracious and accepting. She has an older soul than I do, a wiser one.

On Sunday, we were listening to the radio and heard about the plane crash in Lexington.

I quickly did a scan of my brain to see if I remembered anyone I knew planning a trip, and thankfully, came up empty. Later, it was reported that there was only ONE survivor. Yet later, it was reported that those onboard that had perished had died from fire — not smoke. And my own horror at the prospect of burning alive came into full focus. I prayed that it had been quick for them. What else can you pray for?

I called Wayne (who had been roofing at his father’s over the weekend) to tell him to take a different route to a friend’s house that he was planning to visit Sunday afternoon. It was “gaming day” with the D&D guys. I usually go too, but I was on baby watch.

Wayne had spent the night at his brother’s house and had already heard about the crash. He also knew that Versailles Road had already been reopened. What he didn’t know (at that point) was that he knew people who were on the plane.

When he got to gaming, one of his friends who used to work at Gall’s in Lexington told him that four of those onboard were from Galls. They were headed to help out with the Katrina efforts. One of them Wayne knew fairly well, another… quite well. One of the ladies was someone that Wayne admired and considered a close friend. She was also the last woman that he asked out before he and I started dating. They had remained friends through the duration of his employment at Galls.

Needless to say, he was in a blue-gray funk all day. We talked about it at length last night. You know, there’s really nothing you can say when your spouse loses a friend — especially when the loss is so unexpected, so violent, so horrible.

All I can do is say a prayer for her and all those on the plane with her. All I can do is wonder, if Wayne hadn’t quit working there to work closer to home… would HE have been one of those on the plane? All I can do is shudder and realize, once again, how fragile, how temporary and how fleeting life really is… and try to be more thankful of each day, each moment, each opportunity I have to live with and enjoy family, friends and those that touch my life in a positive way.